Lettering, Illustration & Design
“remarkable inventiveness and range with a gift for language”*
1986-2011: Designer, American Greetings Over 20 years of satisfying art directors, collaborating with writers,
and having original designs accepted for programs. Variety of media, developed in Photoshop.
- Part of the original dedicated teams for hugely successful lines, including In Touch, Couples, and Coffeehouse.
- Six proprietary fonts for American Greetings, including two of the most popular fonts in their product: Josephine and Emmylou.
- Brought ‘the whole package’ (writing, illustration, lettering) to collaborative development projects.
Primary designer and artist for best-selling contemporary Christian line (Walmart).
Freelance Illustration, Lettering & Design
branding for artists & small business
advertising, newsletter and billboard design
presentation pieces for LTV Steel, Cleveland Public Library
consulting, presentations & workshops for artists using text
- Over 30 years showing and selling at invitationals, galleries and juried shows. Ink, acrylics, oil pastel, colored pencil, collage, assemblage, altered books.
- Awards: multiple inclusions in the international Letter Arts Annual competition, Juror’s Awards in the annual Fine Art Show sponsored by American Greetings.
- Collage Journaling: Develop written & graphic personal narrative, bring fresh elements & insight to work. Cleveland Art Institute, and 2-5 day workshops.
- Collage Studio: Journaling, Lettering & Altered Books, Cleveland Art Institute
Education BS Art and English Education, Ohio State University, 1971
Cleveland State University, 2001
* “ Judith’s remarkable inventiveness and range, combined with her gift for language, have earned her unique assignments and respect in a highly compartmentalized design environment.”
—Suzannne Moore, Art Director 2000-2005, American Greetings Corporation.